Monday, November 10, 2008

In the beginning

God created the heavens and the earth ("he made the stars also"-one of the great understatements of the Bible) is what I was told from my earliest memories. Awesome! Seemed reasonable. I mean, someone had to make all that stuff. A lot of the stuff I saw and worked with every day was made by someone too.

So for a long time it seemed reasonable that science was the study of God's work. But in a Christian school run by a community as committed to holy living as the one I attended, the concept of evolution was never seriously explored. Oh, we were told what it said in VERY limited detail, but just enough so we would understand how ungodly a way of thinking it was, how anti-biblical. No, it was enough to accept the Word of God in this matter. Besides it was far more important that we live a holy life, a life dedicated to pleasing God, by wholeheartedly pursuing him, by pureness in word and deed.

A lot was good about this regimen. We had the opportunity to learn a great deal of self-sufficiency living in a community that developed their own skilled laborers, going outside for training, but not for employees. Probably I benefitted more than others since by aptitude I was inclined toward technology, but the fact is I did benefit a lot. Oddly, that self sufficiency, that "mantra" repeated over and over of "think and pray" that applied to corporal and temporal decisions did not carry over into matters of the soul, spiritual matters.

In this arena George was God's vicar in the community. Not by title, mind you. And none would had admitted to it so baldly, I think. But the fact remained that he ran the show. If George pronounced for God on some matter, that was the last word. To argue with George was to earn shaming, isolation, or expulsion. My mom spent almost a year as a single parent while my dad wandered the eastern seaboard of the US "seeking God" because he had dared to confront George about his living arrangement with a young woman though he was legally married to a woman not in the community. Nowadays this sort of thing is somewhat more acceptable socially, but even now in most churches that claim to base their teaching on the Bible this would be considered an egregious transgression of God's moral law.

That year, at the age of 7, I learned from my mom how to use a sewing machine and made a pair of pajamas for my teddy bear. I also embroidered a simple needlepoint picture my dad sent as a gift. (See, I told you I was inclined toward technology.) Dad eventually did return, but this was not the last of his confrontations with George, and I'm proud to say that he never did give up his convictions so much that he got lost and swallowed up by the Charmer.

I have to stop now. This is going to be a ramble through my Christian past to the point of my eventual disillusionment with and deconversion from Christianity. It is my first attempt to chronicle my faith journey. Mostly I expect it will be from memory, so some who have known me a long time might on occasion find reason to challenge some bit of the narrative. What I do not think will be in error is the substance of the story, the sequence of faith experiences.

I hope that this story will be interesting to any who bother to read it. And if you so bother, thank you. If you find it interesting, or have questions, I would be glad to hear from you.

Until the next time, then....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I regret that we got off on the wrong foot on the "Memoirs of an Ex-Christian" blog. Some have accused me of being a satirist of conservative Christianity, and while I am admitting nothing, let's just say that you and I have more in common than you know. I'm happy to have found your blog.

johnskytalker said...

revright, welcome. I'm glad you found my blog. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Peace and blessings, John